Sunday, October 3, 2010

...A Little Piece of Heaven in a Texas Suburb

How did I find my little piece of heaven? On the back of my Dad's newly acquired Harley Davidson. I have never been on a motorcycle before, and I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little nervous. But before I could give my nerves more than a moment's thought, a big black helmet was strapped to my head, my feet were set on the footpegs, the rumbling motor was started, and we were off.

Without any hesitation the wind commenced blowing over my body, the sun commenced shining on my back, the grass commenced smelling fresh, and I commenced forgetting about those silly little nerves, which were quickly replaced with a gaping, open-mouth grin. I don't think even a thousand flies smacking my teeth would have made that grin disappear. Let me tell you, there is no cool-looking chick with dark eyes and a sleek leather jacket when you ride with me. Oh no. You get the girl with the gigantic grin under a huge helmet who flaps about clumsily in her seat and wants to wave at everyone to let them know she's riding on a Harley, just in case they couldn't tell.

What a feeling, this joy so powerful I could not have hidden it if I tried. Riding on that motorcycle felt like freedom-pure, unadulturated freedom. I rode through the symphony of the world, keeping its beat with the deep bass rythym of our engine and sometimes playing in superb harmony with the other bikes on the road. I think though, that the whole reason I enjoyed the ride so much (other than getting to spend time with my Dad) was that I let myself enjoy it. I actively allowed my body to take in the experience, working to clear my mind of all other thoughts unrelated to what was happening right now. I meditated on the back of that motorcycle, opening my mind to a new experience of mindful inner and outer awareness. I understood the possibilities in those moments of joy I found on the back of my Dad's Harley-if I could experience something so wonderful on the back of a motorcycle, who is to say that I can't have that with every breath I take every day of my life? After all, as much as it might seem contrary at the moment, everlasting joy does not reside in the motorcycle. My heaven didn't stay on the bike when the ride was over. It isn't waiting for me in the foot pegs, big helmet, and seat cushion. It hopped right off that bike with me, living within me as it lives in all of us. It is ours to awaken and ours to nurture. Yes, my little piece of heaven lives in this Texas suburb. It sleeps with me, laughs with me, cries with me, gives me little glimpses of its beauty every now and again just to remind me what I'm living for. And trust me, Heaven, I'll be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment